Friday, July 10, 2009

Design redemption


I had pretty much given up on the Olympic promotional team for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics. My reasons were three-fold:

Strike one: the horrendously hackneyed presentation at the closing ceremonies in Torino (seriously, they might as well have just had a moose walk across the stage).

Strike two: those disgusting uniforms for the Beijing games (I don't know if that had anything to do with the winter games but as they were also ambassadors for our country, I am pinning it on you guys anyways). Seriously, they looked like elaborate pyjamas.

Strike three: those mascots! As one friend put it when he first saw the mascots: "Oh, I thought those were leftover from Nagano."

However, I am a huge fan of the new Olympic posters for the Vancouver 2010 games and I have to say that they pretty much eradicate all previous design-wrongs committed by the promotional team. The colour scheme and patterning are beautiful and I hope that future Olympic promotional products are just as lovely.

(I am still peeved that I will be at school in Milwaukee while the games are here. Seriously, I am never in the right place at the right time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment