Monday, July 27, 2009

Matcha cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache


I seem to be baking things lately that turn my dishwater strange colours. First the red velvet cake that made it look like I was trying to wash evidence of murder down the drain and now these cupcakes that made it look like I was washing my dishes in swamp water.

I picked up some matcha powder at T&T a little while back. I love mixing this stuff into vanilla ice cream but I have never tried it in cupcake form before. If you've never tried it, it can be kind of bitter on its own but when mixed into dessert has a really nice subtle flavour. (I want to say "earthy" because I've been hearing that word thrown around the Food Network like it's going out of style as of late).

You can buy matcha powder (green tea powder) at pretty much any Asian grocery store. T&T is amazing (and just sold to Loblaw's for a whopping $225 million! Note to self: start a grocery store chain)


The dark chocolate ganache is a nice rich complement
to the subtle green tea flavour.


MATCHA CUPCAKES
This is a half recipe because I only had a 1/2 stick of butter. I got 9 cupcakes from it.

1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Dash salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon matcha powder

Preheat oven to 350˚.

Beat butter on high until soft. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg plus egg yolk, one at a time, beating until just incorporated.

Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add to creamed mixture and mix until combined.

In a separate bowl, combine milk and matcha powder and whisk until smooth. Add to batter and mix until combined.

Spoon into cupcake liners and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Recipe from Cupcake Bakeshop



CHOCOLATE GANACHE

3/4 cups heavy cream
10 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, broken into small pieces with a food processor

In a saucepan, simmer heavy cream for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate until smooth. Refrigerate until firm and spreadable.


No comments:

Post a Comment