Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Holy Trinity 2.0

Here are the results from my early morning baking the other day.

Where I work, there is a backwards tradition that you have to bring treats in for everyone when it is your birthday. Apparently my mom had been talking up my skillz so I couldn't disappoint! At the company barbecue on Sunday, one of my coworkers came up to me and was like "Ok, you can't bring your birthday treats in on Thursday or Friday because half of us won't be here. So bring them in Wednesday". I have Wednesdays off, I told her. "Ok tomorrow, then!" (This was while I was still at the barbecue and it was about seven at night). "Pfft, I haven't made them yet!" I told her. "Well, then Tuesday it is!" she said.

I had forgotten that I would be occupied on Monday night attending this, so this is how I found myself pouring cake batter into tart shells at 1 in the morning.

It's a good thing they turned out because I probably would have cut someone if they hadn't.



Kidding.

I don't know if anyone remembers what I made for my birthday last year but I had to up the anti this year. (Which was pretty darn hard). So, I figured I would combine these with the other most awesome thing I've made all year and voila!




Here is the recipe from last year. I cheated and used a tube of store-bought chocolate cookie dough and some frosting from my good friend Betty, but I made my own tart shells and cake. Here are the instructions for the rainbowfication of the cake.

I doubled the pie crust recipe but still had some cake batter left over (the recipe makes a three layer cake for crying out loud—and it's impossible to halve it because there are 7 eggs in it) so I just made an extra cake once I ran out of tart shells.

I guess they liked it.

1 comment:

  1. AHHHH THIS IS INCREDIBLE!
    mini cookie cake pies.. AND SO COLORFUL!
    you are a genius!! and i'm in love with this!!!
    so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete