Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Rainy day baking



If this terrible weather keeps up I'm going to have to invest in larger pants.

So today I decided to make a recipe I ran across yesterday: Dorie Greenspan's White Chocolate Brownies. I guess it was a Tuesday's With Dorie pick a while ago so it made the food blog rounds. I found it yesterday on Une Gamine dans la Cuisine, who made it with a raspberry coulis.

After making them, I am pretty disappointed with the texture brownie-wise. They are a very nice cake but a terrible brownie texture in my opinion. Not even close to dense enough to be deemed a white chocolate brownie, in my opinion. But a very nice cake. If I were to make these again I would use my recipe from last week and try it with some fresh raspberries (all I had were frozen). The orange and raspberry is a nice flavour combo, though.





The sister liked them

.....about 2 minutes after they were de-panned there was this much left of them.

DORIE GREENSPAN'S WHITE CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH RASPBERRIES

  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup finely ground almonds
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
  • 4 oz premium-quality white chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp orange zest
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup raspberries

Preheat oven to 325˚F. Butter and flour a 9x9 baking pan.

Whisk together the flour, ground almonds and salt. Set aside.

In a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over a pan of boiling water, melt the butter and white chocolate over barely simmering water until the ingredients are just melted. Be sure to keep a constant eye on this because white chocolate is very finicky.

In a separate bowl, combine orange zest and sugar and rub together with your fingers until the sugar is moist and aromatic. Add the eggs and mix with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and foamy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and blend in the melted butter and chocolate. Still working on low, mix in dry ingredients, stirring until they just disappear into the batter. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle raspberries evenly over the batter.

Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean (it took about 40 minutes in my oven). Let cool in pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment